Tuesday, January 20, 2009

letting the apron strings untie

Being a mother of 5 adult children, has given me many cherished memories and to be very truthful a lot of burden that I was not meant to carry. A little background first. I have 3 children from my first marriage, Lynn has 2 from a previous marriage, but thru out the years they have become our children. When it was just me and my 3, it was some hard roads to cover, no money , worked 3 jobs and basically saw my kids when I went to the sitters to read then a book and get a catnap with them before the next job...that was something I had to do at the time. With that said I became a control freak and wanted and needed to make sure that they all became successful adults. After all I brought them into the world. It wasn't until they were all adults making their own decisions did my controlling get in the way. I really believed that it was my responsibility to keep them on track and to fix things when it went bad. It worked on my health, took me away from the more important things in my life , but most of all It took the Glory away from God to work in their lives...I definitely got in His way. I went to talk with Tim about this and the one thing that stuck in my mind was"It is not your job to carry the burden of your adult children, all you need to do is provide a safe place to fall when the time comes. And let your kids see how God is working in and thru you to make a difference. Two of the 5 children did fall and fall hard, and I sat back and let them figure it out, I stayed out of God's way , and to say the least my life was better and they were being held accountable by a much higher force than me. They have grown from the mistakes made and continue to grow because this Mom stepped back. I have said before that I always love me kids very much , but sometimes I don't always like them ...and that is ok. When you find yourself so wrapped up in another ones life that it takes way from your own in a bad way....then it is time to " LET GO AND LET GOD". I pray for my family each day and for God to work in their lives in a way that they know it is only God. I also pray that for myself and my Church family and community, and for God to give me the opportunity to share my faith or to use me in a way to Glorify His kingdom, not mine. Until next time ..remember sometimes we just have to "Let go and let God"...all my love to each reading this......may God use this blog for His Kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. Your children are all very lucky and blessed to have a mother who cares for them in the way that you do! This is wonderful advice for me, as my child is only 3! I will always remember to "Let Go and Let God!" What GREAT advice!
    All My Love,
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's WONDERFUL seeing you "living" again....Welcome Back!! We've missed you!!

    love ya always!

    ReplyDelete